viernes, 16 de abril de 2021

Matching poems written in English language with famous paintings

No Man is an Island (1624)

By John Donne


No man is an island,

Entire of itself,

Every man is a piece of the continent,

A part of the main.

If a clod be washed away by the sea,

Europe is the less.

As well as if a promontory were.

As well as if a manor of thy friend's

Or of thine own were:

Any man's death diminishes me,

Because I am involved in mankind,

And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;

It tolls for thee.


Edward Hopper, Office in a Small City - 1953

          

   Matching poems written in English language 

                    with famous paintings


Shared by Beatriz Monje:

Poems and famous paintings

Level: A2 to C2. Any level secondary school level depending on the poem chosen.

Organization: Single students, pairs or groups. Depending on the teacher’s choice.

Language focus

That on each of the poems. Also descriptive language, colours, shapes, present simple. Describing a picture: on the forefront, on the background, on the right, on the left… you can see or passive voice: it can be seen…

Language for presenting a topic (higher levels).

Objectives

1. Practice reading comprehension by reading and understanding famous poems written in English language.

2. Analyse the meaning of the poem and the reasons why students chose a particular painting to match a poem by focussing on the meaning of both, the poem and the painting and how that is relevant to the students’ personal experiences and previous knowledge of the world.

3. Practice written language by taking notes to prepare an oral presentation.

4. Practice oral production by presenting work to the rest of the students in class.

5. Practice oral comprehension by listening to the presentations of the rest of the students in class.

6. Practice question making.

Access to Beatriz Monje's booket containing the whole lesson plan with quite an amount of matched poems and paintings. 


What Am I?

By Jo Peters


I have no colour,

not even white,

but sometimes I’m wide and blue.

Sometimes I’m still,

and sometimes I rush,

and I can fall down on you.

I can change my shape,

I often do,

but I’m hard to hold in you hand.

You need me to make

your castle stand up

when you’re playing in the sand.

I haven’t much taste

but on a hot day

your tongue’s hanging out for me.

Then I am cold,

but I can be hot

when I’m in your mum’s cup of tea.

What am I?



Joaquin Sorolla, Boys on the Beach - 1909


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Primera y segunda ponencias del curso

Primera y segunda ponencias del curso

       EMBELLISH YOUR ENGLISH LESSON WITH ART. SECONDARY Click on   the image above to access to the contents of the first session of the c...